So a few days ago I decided to ‘trial’ a vegan diet…1. because I wanted to lose weight and 2. because I wanted a challenge. So far I’m feeling less bloated, more energetic and ‘lighter’ in a sense; it’s been tough though…not going to lie I did cheat a couple times (unintentionally) but that’s what this is about I guess, overcoming obstacles.
Anyway, there is another reason for this post; I made a Vegan banana bread/loaf yesterday that I absolutely loved, so I though I’d share it with you guys!
- About 3 cups oatmeal (you can use gluten free if you wish)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 tablespoon olive or coconut oil
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, plus 1 tablespoon (I used coconut sugar)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 squares of 70% dark chocolate (or- of course- vegan chocolate chips) – optional but strongly encouraged
- 3 tablespoons oatmeal
- Preheat oven to 175.C (or 350F) and line a 23x13cm loaf pan (or 9×5 inch)…to be honest I just used a random loaf pan I had:P
- Place your oats into a blender and blend for a 1-2minutes until it resembles flour; you may need to give it some help by stirring it to surface the oats that are still whole
- Measure our 2 cups of your oat flour into a bowl and add the other dry ingredients and whisk until everything is well incorporated
- Place the banana, vanilla extract, oil and sugar and beat until well combined and creamy; pour in your dry mix and fold until just combined…DO NOT OVERMIX then fold in the chocolate
- Pour into prepared loaf pan and sprinkle the 3 tablespoon of oats as well as the 1 tablespoon of sugar. Then bake for 30-40mins
- Loaf is done when a skewer inserted comes out clean. Cool for 10-15mins before removing from pan
- If batter is too thick for your liking, you can add some almond milk, soy milk, coconut milk etc. to loosen it up
- If cut into 10 slices…152 cal, 2.6g fat, 3.3g of protien and 29.6g of carbs
Credit to ambitiouskitchen.com for the amazing recipe!